Why is messy play so important? There are countless benefits to messy play, but we have identified the top 4 benefits! You will see how child development is the biggest benefit of messy play – it encourages development on multiple levels.
- Messy Play Allows Cognitive Development!
- Messy Play Fosters Communication and Language Development
- Messy Play Encourages Physical Development!
- Messy Play Nurtures Creativity
What is cognitive development? Cognitive development means how children think, explore and figure things out. It is the development of knowledge, skills, problem solving and arrangement, which help children to think about and understand the world around them
This refers to things like –
- Brainstorming (deciding how to achieve something)
- Execution (doing the tasks you identified in brainstorming)
- Problem-solving (learning how to fix unexpected issues that arise during execution)
- Learning (understanding what was done and how to use it next time)
Here are a few ways messy play supports cognitive development:
- Children practice brainstorming as they decide what materials to use. Ex: Construction paper? Paint? Crayons? Markers? Which color will I use to make the sun?
- Kids practice execution when they start putting their materials together.
- Kids have to problem-solve when their messy science experiment is getting a bit out of hand. Ex: mixing yellow and blue gave me green. I wanted yellow! Let’s try again.
- They learned that yellow and blue create green from their problem-solving.
- Critical thinking is inherent to messy play as kids observe, analyze, and identify things to change.
Learning these skills early on makes a smart kid and teaches your kid how to apply themself. It’s all about gaining these skills as early as possible.